- Course info
- Student Portal
ENDORSED QUALIFICATION AT LEVEL 3
Endorsed Qualification through the Focus Awards Focus on Quality Provision (FQP), our Child-minding course is ideal for those seeking to work in the childcare industry.
Great with kids? This course has been specifically tailored to those with an ambition to work with children, perhaps as a child-minder, in a nursery or as a nanny. With sharp focus on highly practical modules covering essential areas such as behaviour management and physical needs, this course equips students with the grounding required to enjoy a successful career in the childcare sector.
The demand for childcare has never been higher, with more parents returning to work and working longer hours. And, since the introduction of the 2002 ECM initiative, there has been a public outcry for childcare professionals with recognised accreditation and training.
The Childminding course covers 8 diverse and practical units, which have been tailored to equip students with the skills and knowledge required for modern professionals in the childcare industry. You can view the units by clicking the ‘Modules’ tab above.
You’ll begin by focusing on core modules that cover the developmental needs of children, including physical needs, nutrition, rest and sleep. You’ll also explore different methods of teaching through play and psychological needs in detail – love, security, positive reinforcement and education. With this grounding, you’ll move on to study specialised areas focused on behaviour management, child abuse and the legal framework that must be adhered to. You’ll learn your legal responsibilities, what is expected of you, and ultimately; how to thrive as a knowledgeable, empathetic professional. You’ll even learn health and safety and how to draw up your own contracts and agreements, enabling you to stay informed and compliant with the law at all times.
No matter where you study, If you intend to progress into a childcare environment, there is additional training that you need to undertake. This is a legal requirement.
You will need to undertake a first aid qualification, which only takes one day to complete. St. John’s Ambulance offers a day course that is very competitively priced.
In addition, you will need to register with Ofsted, who will conduct a simple home visit if you plan on offering childcare facilities in your home. Once you have completed your first aid training and registration, you will be qualified to work.
Our Childminding course does not have any set requirements. Open to anyone with a good educational background and a keen interest in the area, we welcome your application. This course is extremely accessible, and we supply a study guide to each student. Your personal tutor will also be on hand to assist you.
Unit 1 Child Development
- Stages of growth and development
- Factors which affect growth and development
- Supporting children with special educational needs
- Key transitions in a child’s life
Unit 2 Diversity and Inclusion
- Diversity within the child care setting
Unit 3 Physical Needs
- Nutrients and Additives
- Dietary Differences
- Meeting children’s rest and sleep needs
- Hygiene in the child care setting
- Common childhood illnesses
- Recording accidents and emergencies
Unit 4 Learning Through Play
- Using topics and themes
- Exploring the senses
- The seven “C’s” and spice
- The importance of planning
- Observing and assessing children
- The Early Years Foundation Stage
Unit 5 Behaviour Management
- Reasons for misbehaviour
- How children learn about behaviour
- Expected stages of behaviour
- Encouraging appropriate behaviour
Unit 6 The legal responsibilities of the practitioner
Registering as a childminder
- OFSTED – The aims of the registration system
- The grading system
- Regulations and legislation
- Understanding the legal requirements of registration
- Your responsibilities to parents
- Your responsibilities to children
- The importance of policies
Unit 7 Promoting positive working relationships
- Promoting positive working relationships
- Types of family structure
- Types of parents
- Working with parents
- Communication between practitioners, parents and school
- Accessing childcare services
- Support for Childminders
- How to protect yourself and your family from allegations
Unit 8 Child Protection Issues and Abuse
- Child Protection Timeline
- The Children Act 1989
- The protection of Children Act 1999
- The Children Act 2004
- Every Child Matters
- Childcare Act 2006
- United Nations Convention in the Rights of the Child 1989
- Further Legislation
- Working Together to Safeguard Children
- Common Assessment Framework
- Local Safeguarding Children Boards
- Safeguarding Children and Child Protection
- Model of need
- Children and Family Court Advisory Support Service (CAFCASS)
- Emergency Protection Orders
- Social Policy and Social Exclusion
- Child Abuse
£35 deposit: remaining balance at the end of the month
Enrol for £35 deposit and remaining balance at the end of the month. Pay your deposit today get your course tomorrow!
Reduced fee of £269
£269 – all inclusive
Pay by 3 monthly instalments of £269 (approx)
£89 deposit followed by £89 for the next two months
The college accepts payment using the following methods:
Credit/Debit Card, Cheque, Postal Order and Invoice.
It is simple and safe to enrol online. Select one of the payment terms above and you will be taken to a secure sever to enter your details.
Once the enrolment process has been completed you will receive your introductory pack and login details to access your course textbooks, your tutor profile and their contact details.
We look forward to welcoming you as a student of the college and feel sure you will enjoy studying with us.
Key points for this course:
- This is a fully supported home study course supported by your own tutor
- Your enrolment fee covers absolutely everything – there will be nothing more to pay after you have enrolled, there are no hidden fees
- You have 12 months to complete your course
- You may enrol at any time of the year
- Access available within 24 hours
Money Back Guarantee
If you are not happy with your course simply return it within 14 days and we will refund your fees in full.
All students enrolled on a course with Cambridge Open College receive access to our online student community (I Learn It Easy) where you can submit your work, contact your tutor, and interact with other students. We have prepared a short video below to highlight the benefits to you.