- Course info
- Student Portal
Our exciting Project Management (PM) course offers students the opportunity to learn and understand the techniques and processes they need to successfully manage projects. It not only benefits existing project managers, or those interested in becoming one, but has the potential to help anyone involved in business.
The Level 3 Project Management course from Cambridge Open College is the perfect vehicle to do just that, and you can soon learn what you need from it. The course results, on successful completion, in an Endorsed Qualification awarded under Focus Awards’ FQP (Focus on Quality Provision) Scheme.
The PM course covers a wide range of areas within the field of project management, including how to design, develop and deliver projects within your organisation. The skills acquired as a result of this course such as planning, management, and communication are highly transferable to a wide range of employment opportunities. It gives graduates the potential to follow a variety of career paths.
The objective of this course is to give you an overall understanding of the mechanisms, techniques and processes commonly used to manage projects. Often considered a frightening concept, this course provides a solid foundation on which to build, either through further study or by moving into a career in project management.
While the subject itself is expansive, we have sought to make the content as digestible as possible for you by breaking it down into separate sections. These not only consider the practicalities involved in project management, but also the fascinating history of the practice.
Other important aspects such as stakeholder and client relationships, budgetary and financial matters are thoroughly addressed. Study makes you aware of all of the possible constraints and likely risks involved and teaches you how to evaluate the success of a project.
In addition, the course provides hands on practical advice to take into the real world. Crucially, you learn how to apply the eight key principles of Project Management; the course gives you 12 easy-to-use planning tools and 20 ways to keep projects on track.
Paired with our FREE employment tools, such as expert advice and CV appraisal, you’ll soon be well on your way to skilfully managing your next project!
While a reasonable level of literacy is required, there are no formal restrictions. It is, however, essential that you have a keen interest in the subject of Project Management.
There is little incentive for students to complete the course if they are not enjoying the content. We ask that you come to the course prepared to do your own research.
To make the learning process as straightforward as possible for you, we provide all course materials alongside an exhaustive study guide. You also have the support of your tutor throughout your studies, should you encounter any problems along the way.
What is project management?Why use project management?
- Benefits of project management
- What do project managers actually do?
- History of PM
- Project management old and new
- Modern scientific project management
- Gantt charts
- The Fayol management model
- Network diagrams
- Critical path method (CPM)
- Program evaluation and review technique (PERT)
- Organisational Structure
- The four basic organisational structures
- Project Life Cycle
- The four stage project cycle model
- Milestones and hold points
- Project close-out
- Feasibility Studies
- The client’s feasibility study
- The client
- Define the constraints on the project
- Value management
- Financial models for project selection
- Payback period
- Return on investment
- Discounted cash flow
- Net present value
- Project Estimating & Scope Definition
- Ball-park cost estimate
- Feasibility study
- CostingSubdivision of project costs
- Direct costs
- Indirect costs
- Time related costs
- Labour & staff costs
- Material & logistics costs
- Miscellaneous costs
- Project charter
- Defining the scope
- Changing scope
- Scope Management
- Project closeout
- Project closeout report
- Project Procurement Plan
- What is required?
- Communication of requirements to potential suppliers
- Evaluation & selection of supplier
- Review & evaluate tenders
- Manage the Contract
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Producing a WBS
- WBS numbering system
- WBS and costing
- Further breakdown of WBS
- Critical Path
- Network diagrams: WBS and critical path
- Activities in series
- Activities in parallel
- Generation of logic
- Activities: summing up
- Resource Planning
- ForecastingResource availability – constraints on the project
- Use of resources
- Resource overload & underload
- Resource adjustment
- Increasing project resources
- Reducing resources
- Controlling the Project
- Why control projects?
- Scope of control
- Scope management
- Technical backup
- Time management
- Resource & procurement management
- Commercial management
- Gathering information
- Applying project control
- Dealing with people
- Quality Management
- Cost of quality
- Right first time costs
- QA costs.
- Internal cost (of failure)
- External cost (of failure)
- Quality circles
- Quality auditing
- Conduct of an audit
- Why audit?
- Quality control plans
- Risk Management
- Hierarchy of control
- Controlling risk
- Risk assessment
- Identify the hazard
- Decide who might be harmed
- Evaluate the risks and decide upon precautions
- Record and implement your findings
- Review and update your risk assessments
£35 deposit: remaining balance at the end of the month
Enrol for £35 deposit and remaining balance at the end of the month. Pay your deposit today get your course tomorrow!
Reduced fee of £269
£269 – all inclusive
Pay by 3 monthly instalments of £269 (approx)
£89 deposit followed by £89 for the next two months
The college accepts payment using the following methods:
Credit/Debit Card, Cheque, Postal Order and Invoice.
It is simple and safe to enrol online. Select one of the payment terms above and you will be taken to a secure sever to enter your details.
Once the enrolment process has been completed you will receive your introductory pack and login details to access your course textbooks, your tutor profile and their contact details.
We look forward to welcoming you as a student of the college and feel sure you will enjoy studying with us.
Key points for this course:
- This is a fully supported home study course supported by your own tutor
- Your enrolment fee covers absolutely everything – there will be nothing more to pay after you have enrolled, there are no hidden fees
- You have 12 months to complete your course
- You may enrol at any time of the year
- Access available within 24 hours
Money Back Guarantee
If you are not happy with your course simply return it within 14 days and we will refund your fees in full.
All students enrolled on a course with Cambridge Open College receive access to our online student community (I Learn It Easy) where you can submit your work, contact your tutor, and interact with other students. We have prepared a short video below to highlight the benefits to you.